Dave founded Heaton Smith Group, LLC in February 2009. He brings more than twenty years of experience in the nonprofit sector to our organization and has worked with nonprofit institutions and their donors in the Southeast, Mid Atlantic, Northeast, Midwest and Pacific regions, serving clients from a wide range of markets, including healthcare, arts and culture, religion and the independent school sectors. Dave is passionate about helping donors assess their current needs, family wealth transfer goals, and their long-term philanthropic goals. His work includes individuals and couples with modest estates as well as high-net-worth individuals, couples and families with private foundations and family offices.
- Board of Directors, Giving USA Foundation, Chicago
- Board of Directors, The Giving Institute, Chicago
- Committee Member, Resource Development Committee, Giving USA Foundation, Chicago
- Committee Member, Planned Giving Research Project, Giving USA Foundation, Chicago
- Member of the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy, National Association of Charitable Gift Planners, Georgia Planned Giving Council, and the Association for Fundraising Professionals.
- Member, AHP Affiliate Member Advisory Council
- Former member of the Board of Directors of Families First, Collin-Graham Foundation, and Heritage Preparatory School
- Executive Director of an Atlanta inner-city community development corporation
- Regional Marketing Director for a publicly traded corporation located in Greenwich, Connecticut
A native of Kentucky, Dave graduated from the University of Kentucky with a B.S. in Psychology. He was selected for the 2001 Leadership Atlanta class and successfully completed the program in April 2002. Dave and his family reside in Atlanta and are active in their community.