Phil has served Heaton Smith clients since our company’s inception and has written articles on charitable gift and estate planning that have appeared in The Journal of Gift Planning, Planned Giving Today, CASE Currents, Planned Giving Design Center and other publications. Phil also serves on the Editorial Advisory Board of Planned Giving Today.
He is an attorney and member of the American and Indiana State Bar Associations.
- Vice-President for Planned Giving and Endowment Stewardship at the Ball State University Foundation and Director of Gift Planning for the Central Indiana Community Foundation (Indianapolis), where he created and directed the Planned Giving Resource Center serving area charitable organizations
- Current volunteer on the Tax Exempt Organization Advisory Council for the Internal Revenue Service (Great Lakes States region)
- Adjunct faculty, University School of Law (Bloomington) and Indiana University Center on Philanthropy and Fundraising School (Indianapolis), teaching classes in Law and Philanthropy, Nonprofit Organization Law and Planned Giving
- Member, Board of Directors for the Partnership for Philanthropic Planning (formerly the National Committee on Planned Giving), Association of Fundraising Professionals – Indiana Chapter, and the Central Indiana Land Trust Advisory Board.
- Past President of the Planned Giving Group of Indiana
- Former Charitable Giving Consultant to the Eli Lilly Endowment’s GIFT program serving community foundations throughout Indiana
- Speaker, National Conference on Planned Giving, Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), American Council of Gift Annuities, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, and the Indiana CPA Society. Phil has also spoken on behalf of charities, bar associations and local estate planning, planned giving and fundraising chapters throughout the country.
Phil received his B.A. degree from Wabash College in 1981 (magna cum laude) and his J.D. and M.P.A. degrees (with honors) from Indiana University in 1985. In addition to his work with Heaton Smith, he has been the featured speaker at over one hundred (100) national and local continuing education programs for professional advisors including for attorneys, accountants, financial advisors and gift planning fundraising professionals on charitable and estate planning.